Friday, July 6, 2018

Should a management network be on it's own separate physical switch fabric?

Still a bit new to being a jack-of-all-trades sysadmin/network guy where I work... I finally came to understand what a management network is a while back and how we do not actually have one set up. I was considering implementing one to have secure, segregated access to all the management ports of our switches, servers and various net appliances, as right now they are on the same network as everything else.

I would think that management network should be on it's own physical switches and data lines (in the event that the main network were to go down or something) and then of course it should also be on it's own VLAN in cases that management network traffic needs to traverse the regular LAN switches (in cases of virtual appliances or something)

Do I have this somewhat right? I'm just looking to get some insight.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment