Friday, July 20, 2018

NTP on networking equipment

This is probably the newb in me posting, but NTP has always confused me meaning, why can't it be something simple such as (ignore syntax, trying to keep it obvious and neutral)...

set time source primary 'insert FQDN of ntp server 1 here' set time source secondary 'insert FQDN of ntp server 2 here' 

When I watch videos, read CLI manuals, etc almost all of them discuss summer time, offsets, etc. I get all that, but it seems that having a couple of master NTP devices, on the network, and have all your devices point to the NTP devices for time is much easier. If I change the time on either NTP device, all the devices that point to the NTP devices should instantly change to the new time.

In smaller networks that may not have the option to have a NTP server, simply pointing them to an internet based time server should be better than not configuring the time at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment