Friday, July 20, 2018

Looking for a tool to monitor ISP packet loss and generate reports

I own an IT service company, but one of my weak points is advanced networking. I'm only saying that to express that I know a lot about IT in general, so you can use big boy terms with me. I'm fighting with my ISP right now over severe packet loss on their end. I could go in to a huge spill about how their techs on the ground are completely incompetent not even knowing what ping test, or a packet is, much less troubleshooting packet loss, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

Finally after 3 trips of "finding nothing wrong", the local tech assigned to my case got some help from his advanced support and was told how to do packet testing with his equipment. Only at that point was he able to actually see my issue himself, even though he didn't understand what it meant, but at least that didn't matter as long as he could figure out how to fix it I guess.

Long story short is the packet loss is intermittent and random. When they did some repairs on their equipment and the packet loss cleared up, they thought they repaired the issue. It was unfortunately just coincidental timing and the packet loss came back in the same manner the next day. Now they are telling me that they need me to provide them with record keeping of what time(s) of the day packets are getting dropped, what percentage, etc... so that they can better troubleshoot the issue. I'm pretty annoyed that I'm being tasked with doing their job for them, but whatever, if this gets my internet fixed then so be it.

So here I am. I need some kind of software that can run a constant ping in the background to Google or anything, and generate some type of time-logged report showing dates, times, percentages, etc.. anything like that of relevance to help them out as much as possible. Are there any suggestions on software to achieve this type of thing? Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment