Friday, July 6, 2018

mgmt over LAN on switches with USB-only MGMT ports possible? (and a few other questions)

a brief backstory; I've got no education, training or experience with networks and have been thrust into a job as a 'network engineer' of sorts, which requires me to connect switches from various vendors(currently 40+ different vendors switches on the network).

I'm learning as I go but this is a problem I have no idea how to solve. A lot of switches(looking at you, Dell) have USB-A/micro/mini-USB mgmt ports which are beautiful in a pinch but a pain in practice for my use case at least.

My end goal is being able to telnet/ssh into a switch and get details of which transceivers are currently installed in the switch.

To the questions:

I've learned that mgmt is typically done through a serperate VLAN for security reasons, is there a way to enable management functionality over standard eth ports?

Is it possible to connect USB-mgmt only switches to a mgmt LAN?

If not, is it possible to use a 'slave PC' to act as a passthrough? - I know I could do it that way with team-viewer or similar, but that sounds horribly inefficient and costly.

Oh, bonus question, the heck should I do if Windows(7/10) won't find serial COM drivers and I can't find them online? currently it's basically leaving the switch in a bricked state because I have no idea how to get into configs.



No comments:

Post a Comment