Saturday, July 14, 2018

HP Procurve 1410-24g (j9561a) - how hot they run?

Hopefully Ok to post here.

I bought a second-hand HP 1410-24G switch (non-managed, 24-port gigabit). It was sold as non-working*, but I got it for cheap and I thought hey, one might get lucky. If nothing else, couple of hours of troubleshooting fun at least.

I got the impression that the switch had died and did not power up any more. However I did managed to get it power on (I believe I did nothing, might have been just a loose connection). Now the switch powers up - yey! But it's not perfect. There are four ports that do not work (9, 10, 15, 22). This would be fine with me, but I am more concerned that the switch runs very hot (even on idle). There are three big heatsinks on the mainboard, and the center one runs very hot, around 85 degree celcius (it also warms up faster than the others, but the temperature does stabilise so it's not at least completely avalanching away).

The other two heatsinks also run warm, but significantly less (around 40-50 degrees). The switch works (I kept it on for couple of hours for testing), but the case gets very warm (almost too hot to keep hand on the top). I don't know if this is normal with this model, but to mee it feels pretty high temp? The powersupply itself doesn't appear to be under heavy load (the heatsinks there are all under 40 degrees).

(Obviously I won't be keeping this plugged in un-supervised for now)

*) The previous owner (first owner) could not replace it under HP's lifetime warranty, as the company that installed the switch into his house, could not provide a receipt for this particular switch and as such could not produce a proof of purchase.



No comments:

Post a Comment