Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Are there "levels" to Network Engineer positions?

I got cold called by a recruiter today who is trying to fill a position that I actually find interesting. I would be developing a test environment for integrating new systems onto the existing networks on Navy ships. I meet most if not all of the mandatory requirements (CCNA, Sec+, security clearance, college degree), but very few of the preferred items (CCNP, a lot of the specific experience related to documentation processes). I spent 8 years in the Navy working on IT systems, and have since spent a year contracting in a systems engineer role on Navy ships, none of which was strictly networking.

The title of the position is "Network Engineer III". I'm not familiar with the "grade" of III... is there some standardized scale, or required bullet points? I'd rather not accept an interview only to get blown out because they're expecting a ton of in-depth routing/switching knowledge, I don't need the ego hit.



No comments:

Post a Comment