Thursday, July 19, 2018

Anyone familiar with HoVPN? Is it any different than HVPLS?

My employer has a customer asking if our equipment supports HoVPN or HVPN. They're researching internally but I thought I'd do some research on my own to see what the rest of the world is talking about in terms of these technologies... get myself up to speed on what the community's doing, then look at our internal implementation of it, if there is any.

My initial thought was that this was just another way to ask about HVPLS I but wanted to resarch rather than assume. The first page I found was this one, however nothing out of the ordinary there. To me that page just describes HVPLS with other terms, kind of how like MEF and Cisco use different terminology for some of the same basic concepts.

The second page I found was this one, which is a Huawei support page, which leads me to believe these are Huawei terms and our customer must be talking to them. That page goes a little deeper than the other page did, but still, this page only describes what I would call a Layer 3 HVPLS service with VRFs configured in multiple places so those VRFs could do route summarization ... unless I'm missing something? I see the page does also mention route reflection but I would presume that's in support of the overall network, not inside the customer's individual HVPLS services.

Then I found this IETF draft document but it only mentions the term HoVPN once and seems to be about MPLS stitching, which can be done with pseudowires as well as multiple VPLSs so I'm not sure if there's anything special there.

All the other pages I'm finding appear to be related to Huawei. Anyone else have any info they can share? TIA



No comments:

Post a Comment