Thursday, June 7, 2018

Project - VPN Tunnel SA Discrepancies

Hello r/networking!

I am going into my final semester in undergrad, and am required to complete a senior project. Someone suggested to me a project that would pull SA settings between two firewalls, and determine if any discrepancies were existent automatically. This project would essentially aid in the troubleshooting of VPN tunnels. The main issue is that this is trying to help with is when all of the settings look the same, but maybe aren't translating effectively between two different firewall vendors. Also, this project assumes that the tunnel is functional, but not fully functional; sometimes connections timeout, RST's being sent, etc.

I have a few questions in this regard, so if anyone would like to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

  1. Is this project practical or even worth it given the circumstances?
  2. Is Python or another scripting language capable of logging into the firewall, and pulling these settings? (Maybe through an automated SSH since we are still technically on an internal network via a tunnel?)
  3. How would I go about pulling the settings in general?
  4. This one is more development related, but how would I implement a front-end GUI that would display these discrepancies that are being pulled from the back-end?

Thank you for your help, and if you have any other suggestions, that would be awesome.

P.S. I am still very green in the networking world, so my knowledge as of right now is limited. Any help is appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment