Friday, June 29, 2018

DevOps: To CI/CD, or not to CI/CD?

I'm setting up a virtual machine to do some management/monitoring tasks, and I'm using Docker to containerize everything, so extensibility is preserved. When it's all said and done, I'll have extra resources I can put to use.

Which leads me to the question of DevOps: Should I implement a CI/CD system to our network? (about 300 devices in a handful of locations, all within a few miles of one another) I've heard good things about Travis, and I'm considering self-hosted GitLab as well. I don't think either will integrate into LibreNMS or Oxidized, so that question is moot.

If I'm already using LibreNMS with Oxidized, is it worth it to implement a DevOps-style CI/CD system into the mix? Would that be duplicating or conflicting with those two applications I mentioned or DNA Center? Would it still be worth it as a resume builder?

What's your take more broadly on the DevOps movement as it relates to networking. Where do you see this all going, and why?



No comments:

Post a Comment