Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Can anyone please help demystify SFP+ transceivers and DAC cables compatibility for a novice in this area?

So I was looking at picking up one of those Microtek 16 port SFP+ switches, to connect up 3 esxi hosts (Dell servers), and also to connect another server to a NAS. The servers I was looking at getting Intel SFP+ NICs, and the NAS is a qnap and had an SFP+ card in already.

What I can't figure out definitively is what transceivers I should have at each end, or should I use DAC (they will all be in the same rack, except for the Nas), and if I use DAC which ones at each end?

So should I have intel transceivers in the Intel NICs, Microtek transcievers in the switch and. Qnap one in the Nas? Or should I use the same brand all round? Is there a golden rule, or does it depend on different manufacturers?

Or should I be using DAC for the devices in the same rack as the switch? If so, I've been looking at FS.com and they can do DAC cables with whatever brand at either end by the looks of it, so what would I get? The NAS might move to another cabinet down a fibre link, so I understand in this situation I would have to use a transceiver.

Any help would be much appreciated



No comments:

Post a Comment