Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Brocade-Networkswitch - SNMP-Monitoring-Problem

Hello Networking-Community!

I have a kind of a special problem and I think I need your help with it. I hope the r/networking subreddit is the right location to post a question like this.

Short-story:

We use PRTG to Monitor our environment and got a brocade VDX with NOS v2.0.1a (old version, I know). This VDX is used to connect our Unisphere-Storage to the ESX-Hosts. We got some performance issues the last time and want to find the cause of this, so we decided to monitor the bandwidth of the ports of our datastore-switch.

My problem:

Okay, no problem (I thought) - added SNMP-Bandwidthsensors for each port - but there is no bandwidth shown (stays at 0kb/s).. Last but not least, I figured out how to get values with a snmp-browser, add the index of an interface I want to monitor and found the following:

INTERFACE: 1/0/15, 10GBe, SNMP-Index: 403636238, Descr.: DATA-ESX05

- ifSpeed: OID:1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.5.403636238 value: 4,294,967,295

- ifHighSpeed: OID:1.3.6.1.2.31.1.1.1.15.403636238 value: 10000

Manual - page 20 and page 35

http://jp.fujitsu.com/platform/server/primergy/products/note/other/NOS_MIB_v300.pdf

Analysis:

ifHighspeed returns the right value. We got a 10Gbe Interface behind the index and everything is okay. If I try to get the bandwidth with ssh (show interface tengigabitethernet 1/0/15) I get informations about the interface and something like this:

Rate info (interval 299 seconds):

Input 14.505856 Mbits/sec, 501 packets/sec, 0.15% of line-rate

Output 10.931722 Mbits/sec, 427 packets/sec, 0.11% of line-rate

IfSpeed-Definition from manuel (link above):

"An estimate (in bits per second) of the current bandwidth of the interface.

For interfaces that do not vary in bandwidth or interfaces for which no

accurate estimation can be made, th

is object must contain the nominal

bandwidth. If the bandwidth of the interface is greater than the maximum

value reportable by this object then this object must report its maximum

value (4,294,967,295) and ifHighSpeed must

be used to report the interface

speed. For a sub-layer which has no concept of bandwidth, this object must

be zero."

I want to get this Info with SNMP to monitor it with PRTG, but PRTG doesnt get this info and my SNMP-value seems to reach the maximum (documentation). I'm out of ideas at the moment. Do you guys have any tips how to get the right value?

Thank you very much!



No comments:

Post a Comment