Thursday, April 5, 2018

Unifi Switch vs Alternative for SMB Storefront

Hey Networking Community,

As a tech who is a little rusty on current vendors and such I am again looking for some personal opinions.

I have a small business client (carryout restaurant, 3 tables for diners, multiple tablets) that I am adding on Ubiquiti USG and AP LR to their AT&T service. There needs are very minimal with a few tablets for online ordering and printers, and a credit card machine. Being able to set up a guest network for employees and guests, as well as have the ability to monitor bandwidth and manage remotely is a major selling point. Also having the additional security in the USG is a plus; I am hyper-sensitive to security. I am stuck on the switch.

I have ran 9 x Cat 6 ports with the ability to have up to 12. This is more than they will need for years to come. With the USG and AP, having a Unifi switch doesn't add much except for the ability to manage individual ports; from my research, the usage stats and management can be done from the USG. Since I will never need a 16 port switch, should I chose an alternative smart switch, such as d-link, Luxul, or HPE, to get only 10 or 12 ports at a better cost? I originally planned and purchased an 8-port Unifi non-POE but its now too small. I can add a second and daisy-chain them together with a Cat 6 patch, but I am not convinced the cost is worth it.

I have never thought highly of D-Link and I am not familiar with Luxul. I have had luck with TRENDnet at home but not sure they are reliable for a small business. HPE has a great warranty and I have heard good things at the enterprise level, not sure about SMB. All the equipment is mounted in a Leviton Structured Media cabinet with a secured, vented door. I appreciate any personal input anyone is willing to share. Thank you in advance for the assistance!



No comments:

Post a Comment