Thursday, April 26, 2018

Throughput limited by Cisco 2960 switch

I have a 300x300 fiber internet circuit. When testing directly to the ISP’s CPE using Speedtest.net and iPerf to HE’s public server using 40 parallel streams to saturate the link, I’m able to get 300M up and down.

I have a EdgeRouter Lite as my router. Eth0 is the WAN and Eth1 is my LAN. When testing directly to the LAN interface, I’m also able to achieve 300M.

Now on the Cisco 2960 switch, there are 2x 1G copper interfaces. When I connect Gi0/1 to Eth1 on the ERL and Gi0/2 to my test machine, I can now only get around 150M up and down when testing with Speedtest.net and iPerf.

My Speedtest latency is only about 2ms and the iPerf latency is about 18ms.

Obviously my switch is the bottleneck. I have a few more things to test such as a local iPerf test with two machines connected to each Gi interface on the 2960.

I won’t have a chance to do this for a few more days, but I was wondering what may be causing this? My interfaces on the 2960 are negotiating to 1000 full, and there are no errors incrementing on the counters. There’s no special configuration on these interfaces.

Am I missing something?



No comments:

Post a Comment