Friday, April 20, 2018

Learning Server Admin stuff as a Networking Guy

What are your thoughts on learning how the other half lives? I'm talking about learning how to setup physical servers, spin up VM's, learn about things like iWARP and ROCE, get your hands dirty on all this server stuff basically, until you're a wizard at Active Directory and can set up your own Domain Controller and generate certificates like a boss.

I find as a Networking Guy all of the above stuff is like black magic, and it makes me a little upset that I don't understand any of it to a high enough level where I could just walk in, set it all up, and have it all work.

Also part of me feels like if I ever wanted to set up my own network truly, I'd have to configure the servers too, not just the routers and switches.

Any thoughts? Is this kind of a useless thing to learn? I figured with Networking Guys branching out into automation, and software defined, why not branch out in that direction, too?

I've been reading /r/homelab off and on for a bit, and it kind of surprises me how a bunch of young professionals are setting up linux boxes and spinning up ESXi just to play around, and I literally could not set up either of those things at all without Google some kind of cheat sheet. Simply amazing.

Let me know your opinions on the matter!



No comments:

Post a Comment