Saturday, April 28, 2018

DHCP Timeout/Renewal Question

TLDR version: When a client boots (Any OS) do DHCP standards tell it to make a DHCP request and will it accept a new IP address from the server if it is different from it's current IP? I know it SHOULD take the new IP, but sometimes with Windows machines they like to keep their old address until I manually /release /renew them from in the OS.

Additionally, when a client reaches it's DHCP lease timeout and the server is not available I know it will assign a 164.255.0.0 address to itself, but how often does it check for the DHCP server to come back online and how fast will it require a DHCP assigned IP?

I realize it may be different for different OS's but I am dealing with a proprietary linux distro and I believe/hope it sticks to the normal standards for these processes. I am trying to figure out what steps will happen if a power cycle outage on the clients and dhcp server occurs and the dhcp server takes longer to come back up than the clients, and the clients have very short DHCP timeouts.



No comments:

Post a Comment