Wednesday, April 11, 2018

DCI / Stretch L2 / Failover

I am more of a systems guy, trying to design a high availability deployment. The requirements I was given is two datacenters in close proximity with separate fault domains, but close enough for synchronous replication (sub 5ms).

I can easily get multiple 10Gig fiber runs between the two primary sites. Its only going to be maybe two or three cabinets of equipment on each side, so I could easily have a network stack at each site LACP'd to each other and have little to no risk of loops.

Without any direct experience I was thinking of stretched vlans as I'm in a regulated industry and L3 switching is doable but a little problematic with audits, but was reading up and I am seeing a lot of hate for DCIs and Stretch L2.

What if the stretched vlan for was only for an isolated network like storage or cluster replication (no default gateway needed, no routing to / from other networks) going to be as much of a long term headache as some of the other post here make it out to be?

What else I should be looking into instead?

Thanks for the advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment