Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Working on Wi-Fi, advice anyone?

Hey all,

Wireless has been iffy in my environment since I inherited it. Not being a wireless guy, I've struggled. But I have read plenty and ordered an Ekahau sidekick to assist me.

Today I located and identified all 52 APs in our environment (Cisco Aironet). We had a map with numbers of the AP, and then the APs had names (some made no sense), so I changed the names and correlated numbers on the map to the names of the APs. Good start, I would say. Now I know what is what, and where it is.

Now, here's the next part. I have an Ekahau sidekick. I have no idea how to use it, but I have the quick start crash course tomorrow. I guess I'll dabble a bit there, then figure the rest out as I go along. I need some advice though. I see we used non-DFS channels but at 40 mhz channel width. That does not leave a lot of channels I feel like for 2 floors with 52 APs, which maybe is one of the first problems. Should I continue to use non DFS channels if I plan on statically assigning channels to my APs? I imagine once I understand what I am looking at inside the Ekahau software, it will make more sense about what needs to be done. We had a coverage map done at some point but we did not follow a lot of the power or frequency settings. My first real plan of action is to get the interference thing taken care of by adjusting the channels. Then I plan on walking the floor and figuring out coverage and if the TX power needs to be adjusted anywhere (the coverage should be good but maybe the TX power is off). Does this sound like a good plan? Any good YT videos to follow perhaps?



No comments:

Post a Comment