Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Senior Network Engineer - Next Phase?

Hi all,

I am currently the head of the datacenter networking team in my company, about to get promoted in a few months and need to decide on where I want to go.

Diplomas-wise, I have a B.Sc in Telecommunications Engineering (which is in my university an upgraded software engineer so I know how to code well), got a CCNA (and decided to stop there for now, I don't think it'll be difficult for me to get to the CCIE except for the vast investment of time)

Experience-wise, my job as a team leader included SDN solutions (ACI/NSX/Neutron) who were part of our cloud infrastructure (we also wrote the automation for the cloud, and obviously I have knowledge in virtualisation), Load balancers (mainly F5), classical networking (data center focused but I am experienced as well in the WAN/LAN areas), some video streaming (lots of multicast and cisco DCM).

All of those required knowing JavaScript, Linux, Python, some ansible, and I have experience with C++, C#, Java, Android etc. from my degree and student jobs. Our network is mainly Cisco based so I don't really have any experience with Arista, Juniper etc.

I feel that I'm pretty done with the Network Engineering jobs and would like to advance into something that involves networking in some way (I love networking, after all) but less work with the physical infrastructure (who's not tired of designing those vPC networks with VLANs and all, ey?). Question is, what are the jobs you typically see in the industry coming after network engineer/architect (DevOps? BigData?)? What are the skills required for those jobs, what skills are hot in the market today?



No comments:

Post a Comment