Wednesday, March 14, 2018

multicast joins failing with PIM enabled

I have two PTP servers that I'm testing in our lab. They're supposed to communicate using multicast, over 224.0.1.129. One of the PTP servers gets its time from a GPS antenna, which gives it a higher priority during negotiation. What's supposed to happen, is that the two will talk, and the second PTP server will fall back as a slave device, syncing off of the server with the GPS time. In the event that they can't communicate, they will both become grand masters. What I'm seeing, is that when PIM is enabled on my switch, the two never talk, and they both default to grand master status. If I disable PIM and run strict IGMP, they're able to sync up and the second device becomes a slave. I've analyzed both switchports when PIM is enabled, and both devices are sending out IGMP membership reports. The switch is receiving them, but isn't creating the joins for some reason. What's odd, is that if I put an encoder on the switch, and spin up a multicast stream, I can tune to it without any issues. This doesn't seem to be a multicast issue, because all of our video sources work just fine. The only thing not working here are these two PTP servers. I was on the phone with Brocade for several hours yesterday, and they're stumped, the PTP server vendor doesn't have an answer either. The setup here isn't all that complex, it's just a single VLAN, with either PIM or IGMP enabled.

Technically, we don't need to be running PIM, since it's a layer 2 setup in our lab, but we will need to deploy these servers in routed networks in the future, which is why I'm trying both setups. My understanding of PIM is that it also enables IGMP, and active/passive querying is determined by the RP. This seems to be the case, as I am getting queries from the switch when PIM is enabled, and both PTP devices respond with their membership reports, but the joins never happen in the switch. Any ideas on what might be happening here? This is on an FCX 624 running 8030c firmware.



No comments:

Post a Comment