Friday, February 23, 2018

Two Data Centers, one flat network. Moving to collapsed core? Can the current switches handle this?

Greetings. I've started at a new place and the first red flag is their data center design. https://imgur.com/a/gqYwa . The network is completely flat across VLAN 1, all the host have their gateway set to one of the HSRP address that live on the routers. As you can imagine the 1G link between the switches and the router is being over subscribed. Also the network cannot survive an outage of the trunk.

My plan is to split the data centers into two networks and use L3 routing across the P2P. In the new model the 3850 will act as the "Core/Distribution" and I will be moving the gateways to there. My question to the sub is, will the 3850's be able to handle this duty? There are only about 30 VMs in each data center. Previously I've used Nexus in this role with fex switches for access.



No comments:

Post a Comment