Wednesday, January 31, 2018

[RANT]New Network Administrator here...

Hello /r/networking!

I have recently been promoted to being a Network Administrator within my company. I've been doing a bit of training with the company doing basic tasks such as subnet transfer requests..IP block assignments etc.

Recently, I have been moved up to Network Administrator for more extensive training. Turns out that the guy training me told me the day of that I am to be taking over for him since he is putting in his two weeks immediately.

I was not prepared for this..At this time today is his last day. I've been trying to train hard and learn as much about the job as I can but I Just dont feel ready for the role. This is a fairly large Network with a relatively small supporting crew with me being probably the main guy to figure things out etc.

My questions are...what do you recommend as far as prepping myself as best I can within the next coming days/weeks? There is alot I still do not know about networking and even things like troubleshooting etc. BGP is very involved here as well. We have multiple switch brands such as Cisco, Brocade and Juniper. Even some Edgecore stuff...

Any tips or tricks of the trade on getting up to speed now that my trainer is gone? Was tough to cram everything within the past two weeks..

Thanks for your words and advice..I'm really in a bind and am especially nervous about all this haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment