Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Multicast packet question

Short version - I'm looking for something that diagrams what a multicast packet looks like as it flows through the tree. I can't find the magic phrase for google to spit out what I need.

Long Version - We have an app that's acting up and it's now a network problem, shocker. we have 4 sites, each with a server that keeps data up to date between them via multicast. one server isn't receiving anything. straight unicast works fine. My guess is the something is hung in the app. Whatever. I just need to show them that the packet is getting to the server, or atleast the wire to the server. The issue is there is also normal UDP streams between the servers. I can't for the life of me find something that shows me the source address I should be seeing for multicast traffic. Is is the true source, or the multicast group address? I'm guessing from the last hop router is with be the true source and the true destination IPs.



No comments:

Post a Comment