Wednesday, January 31, 2018

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Firmware Update Question

Hello r/networking, I've been a long-time lurker, however never have posted here. Forgive me if this post is not worthy of this sub.

I've be assigned to configure some HPE OfficeConnect 1950's for a client to replace some non-managed DLINK trash. I have quite a bit of experience with HPE OfficeConnect 1920, however this is my first encounter with the 1950's. I'm aware these are H3C switches running Comware, which is different from ArubaOS and such.

I've had some time to login and poke around the UI and familiarize myself with the available options, and am currently in the process of reading through some manuals to clarify a few questions I have.

My issue today is regarding upgrading the firmware on these units. I have a few of each of these models: HPE 1950 24G 2SFP+ 2XGT PoE+ Switch (JG962A) HPE 1950 48G 2SFP+ 2XGT PoE+ Switch (JG963A)

I've downloaded the latest software: Software Release 1950_7.10.R3116 Build date: 07-Jun-2017

On the JG963A 48-port units, I had no problem navigating the UI via the default IP Address of the switch, uploading the 1950-CMW710-R3116.ipe file and rebooting the unit. Firmware was applied and all was well.

My issue is with the 3x JG962A 24-port units -- I can login to the UI via the default IP, browse and select the same .ipe file to upload. However the switch UI just sits at "Uploading" and eventually gives me a timeout error after 20-25 minutes. I've connected via console, restored the default config and re-tried the upgrade with the same results. I've tried this on 2 of the 3 units that I have. If I reboot the unit during the upload, it simply reloads its stock boot image and functions normally. I'm not applying the update for a bug-fix for feature enhancement, however I do not like deploying units with firmware that isn't current.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue, or have a recommendation that I might try? It's afterhours for me, but a TAC ticket will be my first step in the AM.



No comments:

Post a Comment