Thursday, January 18, 2018

Company interviewing candidate with more experience, should I welcome him or be nervous?

Having just recently passed my CCNA R/S I am the sole network guy for a rapidly growing company. I assisted in getting new Cisco switch infrastructure ordered, (new ASA's running ISE and looking into AMP solutions) as well as other measures. I am very excited to get my hands on the equipment and finally start putting my knowledge to work. I am not very good with the ASA's, I have external support as well when needed (consultant/sub) who I can hire for things I am not yet proficient at. I am very lucky because my company is very understanding and supportive of me learning on the job. My fear is the new gentleman coming for interview has some decent experience. It's likely he will be hired but I am stressed out by it. I am fearful that this new candidate will come in eager to impress and basically take over the projects I have been working on. I have put a lot of effort and time to get where I am and due to our growth we are in need of another guy in the department. As my luck would have it he is strong in networking. Am I being reasonable in my concerns or just selfish? There is always an opportunity to learn from someone but at the same time I really don't want to give up all the future opportunities I have been looking forward to. Just wondering what everyone else's experience in the field have taught them. Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment