Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Using a USG and a managed switch, how can I choose a subnet based on assigned VLAN?

Hello!

I am upgrading my network and got a Unifi USG and a Zyxel GS1548 gigabit network switch. I want to connect both my regular stuff (say, ports 2-16) with a subnet of 10.0.0.X/24 and my servers / homelab (ports 42-48) with a subnet of 10.0.1.X/24. The USG I have only has two ports, so I thought I would assign both groups of ports to a VLAN and have the USG pick IPs based on that. However, I can't seem to get it to work.

I made a new Network on the Unifi controller, gave it the new subnet range and told it to use VLAN 200. Then I made a VLAN group on the switch with ports 1 (uplink) and 42-48 (my servers) to tag egress traffic. But it doesn't work. No matter what combinations of tagging / untagging I do I either can't get a connection or get assigned an IP in the untaged range.

I've been stuck on this for a while now and my family is frustrated that the WiFi keeps going down when I test things. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment