Thursday, December 7, 2017

Let's talk SMB

So, I'm a medium sized business Jr. sysadmin who has found an interest in networking in the last few years. I've been lurking here for a while - and I've learned a little too.

What is interesting to me is the completely different attitude regarding networking from what I'm used to at work. And just the sheer size of things you folks are dealing with.
Just today there was a post describing a "non-prod lab environment, about 50 racks" while all of our prod servers fit in about five racks.
We have people talking about a 250 device network and discussing whether to use Nexus or Cat9300s as edge switches while I had just built a new 450 device network with two HP 2530Gs as cores (god I was happy I was able to source those) and flipping HP 2626 as edge switches.
We have people talking about terabit routing while our rented racks in a remote data center have a 250MB pipe.
We have people talking about getting rid of 3750Xs as edge switches because they're not supported for many years while I am constantly refurbishing, sending in and updating HP 2524s for re-use in prod as new edge switches.
We have people talking about running 40G to the edge devices because 10G is too slow while I am very happy if at least the interconnects are gigabit.
Y'all are talking about cool new things while I am happy I could successfully implement STP in the first branch.

I think you get my point by now, I'll stop complaining now.

Now I know my company is taking this to an extreme but this is just weird to me. I feel like I am the only one here not in a Fortune500 company where things like reliability, redundancy, support,... are valued highly. I am aware that most SMBs don't have dedicated network people and most general sysadmins don't frequent this sub, so SMB content isn't regular here.
Or are other SMBs just not as shit as the company I work at? Do other just not talk about it here?



No comments:

Post a Comment