Thursday, December 7, 2017

Extreme Networks IPv6 inter-vlan routing

I have been testing the equipment (X460 summit) for v6-compatibility and I'm having a problem with the inter-vlan routing. Now the configuration should be right.

  1. The address space is allocated to both VLANs.

  2. The router [vlan interfaces] has it's own address (default gateway)

  3. Both vlans have the "enable ipforwarding ipv6 vlan x" command configured.

  4. Both hosts (windows PCs) have their ipv6 settings correct. (even the default gateway!)

Everything works perfectly inside a single VLAN. I can ping from host A to host B no problem. However when these two hosts are under a different VLANs - The ping from host A (VLAN A) goes all the way through to the default gateway, or the routers address of VLAN B, but it never reaches HOST B. Now I did a beautiful illustration of this with paint if the text is a bit unclear.

Also on the router side, both VLANS goes as tagged to the switch's port. The switch has both VLANS configured tagged on the uplink port and VLAN_A going untagged to HOST_A, and VLAN_B untagged to HOST_B. So no problem there either.

I understand it's a long shot but maybe someone has dealt with something similar. I didn't find the answer by googling so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance.

e: formatting



No comments:

Post a Comment