Saturday, December 30, 2017

First time designing a link between networks and I may be in a bit over my head

We have several networks that currently look something like this: http://ift.tt/2lxD5Nw The basic function is that the modem goes over a 4G VPN connection back to our central office, a server at this office periodically collects information from the primary PLC. Most of the traffic however is between the "location" and "branch location" which is not transmitted over the 4G but is instead transmitted via a ubiquiti radio and a small switch.

I'm trying to connect four of these (typical) locations together so the main PLCs can communicate with each other and I'm not sure how to best design the connection between them. Here is my proposed design: http://ift.tt/2loQJTT

The part I'm unsure about is the connection going between the locations. The ones labeled: Main location, location 2, location 3, and location 4 in my diagram. My thoughts are that I could connect a router to the switch at each of the locations. From there it would be connected to a second ubiquiti radio. This radio would then be placed in "transparent bridge mode" which to my understanding acts as a layer 2 bridge. The location labeled "main location" would then be set up as a AP and the other locations would connect to it. Then I would have to set up some sort of routing between the locations on the new routers.

Additional potentially useful information: WAN (central office) side of the modems is 192.168.7.0/24 LAN side of each modem are the four listed 10.130.0.0/16 networks.

Is this design stupid? Is there a better way to do it? Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment