Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Ballpark figures for a large school bid?

Sort of a non-traditional request, but I'm hoping to at least come away with a number.

I'm currently on staff with a school rebuilding after a flood-- no insurance, so every bit we can save helps. I've installed fairly small to medium networks (100-150 computers, multiple buildings, etc), but always on my own time and as a full time salaried worker.

They've asked me to wire and install 4 networks into the new school building. The walls are gutted and roof is open as well (the main building is two story), and it's a 4 building campus. 1 data network (including 4 vlans and controlled access) 1 security camera network (60+ cameras) 1 intercom system (over Cat5e) 1 lecture capture system (so 1 drop per classroom)

All told, likely close to 200 drops, covering roughly 50,000 square feet of building. Wifi, computer labs, the works--

What would be a typical bid on just the labor of running the wiring/jacks, installing the network gear and configuring the system? Is it per drop on a new install? Do I do it per hour, and what's a reasonable hourly rate? I'd love to just give one price, and I'd love to do it for them at 1/4 the cost of a company, but I just can't put a number to it. I also think it would be unfair (and unethical) to have a local company come out and bid a project they won't receive.

Any help in figuring out a way to price this would be greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to any advice you guys can give.



No comments:

Post a Comment