Friday, November 10, 2017

Testing Azure Cloud Service Latency In A Congested Network

Full disclosure, I have never worked directly with Azure, so forgive me if I say something silly.

I'm a network administrator for a pharmacuetical dispense automation company and my company is getting into Azure app hosting for some of its mobile apps.

My director asked me to run latency tests to our Azure hosts at one of our beta sites to see how latency from the site to the regional Azure cluster would be during peak pharmacy hours. The client reaching out to Azure through the pharmacy's internet connection is a Windows Server 2008 box. He ideally wants a few days of data of traffic latency and then wants it organized into a report.

I am kind of at a loss on how to attack this. ICMP is blocked on Azure servers and ping looping services we normally use for testing latency would not even reflect a production environment, as we connect to Azure's cluster through TCP connections sent to the public IPs of cached domain names. I've thought about PsTools, but I'd like this test to run as a service in the background, generate a log file, and not require much oversight. (Demanding, right?)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment