Thursday, November 16, 2017

Internet WAN Connection Diversity - need help

Hello-

I have a customer that has a 1GB Fiber Option internet connection from their ISP. They pay a premium for this speed trunk, and have no backup in the event that it is down.

Uptime is key, and they are looking for redundancy. The current ISP has offered them DIVERSITY rather than redundancy...they're selling them a second 100mb circuit on the same backbone and they're indicating that it will take a different route in the fiber network to give them guaranteed uptime. This is raising their monthly by about 25%.

I'm trying to get through to them that this would be best done using a separate carrier. They do not host any infrastructure (email and all other office functions are in the cloud), but they have a large user population and internet downtime = no work gets completed. There is also a remote site that relies on the PBX at this facility over a VPN, so internet downtime would also mean phone downtime for another site (not for this site since the phone service is a voice PRI from the same provider).

Does anyone have any whitepapers that I can send to try to get the point across in a more succinct way? At this point, I think that the client may think I'm just trying to get myself a "dog in this fight" since I am a reseller that can sell them the 2nd circuit from the alternate provider. Because of this, I think that a whitepaper indicating WAN DIVERSITY / BEST PRACTICES may help drive my point home.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment