Friday, November 10, 2017

Half Duplex being phased out, or just Cost Savings?

My boss just bought a ton of Extreme X450s for me to install. I put in about 13 of them before I ran into an issue with an old building management machine not connecting. Finally found a KB article stating these switches don't support half duplex due to hardware: http://ift.tt/2jjJ1ME

I checked the product specs sheet and saw the same thing. Talked to our Extreme rep and they said it is the Broadcom chip that no longer supports half duplex.

So my question to you all is this: Is this a sign that half duplex is going to be phased out, or is this just Extreme trying to save on cost?

EDIT: I'm not asking to how to solve this problem. I am well aware that half duplex is old technology, but there is still plenty of old equipment out there that still uses it, so I was just curious for the reason why the chips don't support it anymore and if this is going to be the norm for all vendors.



No comments:

Post a Comment