Wednesday, December 1, 2021

What is the proper way to trace a passive POE cable?

I install whole home wifi systems for a living. Been doing it for a while and I'm always looking for improvement.

We install wired APs, which usually requires cabling tracing. Most client's home have uncrimping CAT cables that are dead on either side. This is easy to map out and I generally just use my FLUKE CIQ-100 CableIQ Tester on the data jack, and my Intelitone to find the cable in their low voltage panel.

On occasion the clients have passive POE injectors (via a switch, or other power supply). I get the "high-voltage disconnect" message. I do, and either shut off the switch, or tone out a few of the CAT wires that have no power running to them.

What is the proper way to tone out passive POE cables? Does the MicroScanner2 from FLUKE allow you to tone out POE cables?



No comments:

Post a Comment