Monday, December 6, 2021

Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro (and my small business use case)

Hi,

Looking for suggestions as to whether the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro / line of products fits my use case, or whether I should be looking elsewhere. If anyone has any experience with Ubiquiti or would love to hear alternatives.

My small business has about 20 people across quite a large, 2 level office with sizeable meeting spaces.

Will solve:

  • guest wifi accounts + scalable wifi access points
  • ability to integrate basic security cameras (secure my server room and front entrance)
  • managed switch capabilities (currently all network is through unmanaged switch!)
  • cheap and cheerful

I've been keen on a managed switch to help create VLANs, prioritise traffic, troubleshoot likes of broadcast storms. But other than that stuff like guest accounts, wifi APs, cameras seems like creating a lot of extra work when it comes out the box with Ubiquiti.

The downsides I'm assuming is cheap/unrealiable(?) kit aimed more at the homelab than corporate...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to learn more and go down more technical avenues if required - any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

*edit, just to confirm that I've done a lot of googling on reddit which tends to be the ubiquity sub (very very positive) to other subs quite negative, but it's been difficult picking out alternate suggestions...



No comments:

Post a Comment