Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Router swap for transit peer

I've inherited responsibility for a small network that resells fiber connections for some local business and commercial customers. The previous network guy just up and left one day and cannot be contacted. Naturally, documentation is sparse. I've been tasked with cleaning up and rebuilding the network to prepare for a new hire or onboard.

My last task is to replace the core router, which advertises the local public network to the transit peer. I do not have access to this router nor do I have access to the account from the transit provider as the previous guy was the only person named. The company is working on that.

In the meantime, my plan is to replace the router with something I can access. I have enough information to mirror the BGP configuration to a new device, mostly. I was given the port IPs, peer IP/gateway, subnets.

I don't have the AS numbers for the local network or the peer listed. I've got the local AS from a quick WHOIS but the peer IP is a private address. If I do a WHOIS on the next hop IP, is it safe to assume that is the target AS?

Should I just wait until I can confirm the peering info with the ISP? I'm not really expecting that to happen any time soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment