Monday, December 6, 2021

Networking upgrade to 10gb SMB 250 users.

Sysadmin here responsible for a site with 250 end users and about 300 endpoints in total. Looking for advice on a core switch upgrade…

Currently I have 8x 2540 SFP+ (10gbe capable) edge switches fed into a stacked HP 2920 core switch. All trunks are 1GB uplinks cat6 ethernet. I use this switch for routing / ACLs but I’m probably going to take the opportunity to offload VLAN routing to our firewall.

Our network is exclusively 1gb and is in dire need of upgrading to 10GB. I am interested to know what people would recommend as a ‘core switch’ replacement. I think 2x HP 3810 16SFP+ would be an ideal choice however my boss has severely underestimated the cost of the project without input from his technical team. This will easily be circa £15k – that’s another matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment