Monday, December 6, 2021

10G Peering on L3 Switch (Cisco, maybe N9K?)

Hey all,

This is a somewhat-recurring theme but here goes again...

I've got a need to do wire-speed peering @ 10gig and our existing transit gear isn't cutting it (ASR1K with 1G uplinks).

Peering is ~150k ipv4, ipv6 we just take defaults and is not likely to change for a few years at least. To be honest we could probably kill off Hurricane and drop that down to <50k ipv4 total, but I want something that will scale to at least 200k ipv4 reliably, do 10g and last ~3 years.

I'm looking at the Nexus 9K, specifically the 9348GC-FXP. It seem to have a validated capacity of 471k ipv4 routes in "LPM mode"... Anyone know if this is a Cisco marketting trap and in real-world transit prefixes are going to grenade it? These can be picked up for ~$3k on eBay and look like a bargain option for my needs (2 x 25G uplinks to core and walk away?)

Anyone have experience doing this sort of think on the N9K, or any other product line? In an ideal world I'd buy a couple of ASR 1KX's and call it a day but that isn't an option at this very moment sadly.

I know the answer is probably jump ship to Junicade/*insert brand here* but in-house knowledge is all Cisco so I've gotta make this work...

Any and all opinions welcome :)))



No comments:

Post a Comment