Monday, November 15, 2021

Wireless Topologies - Star, Infrastructure, service sets (ESS) - All or some?

This is for an educational project to build a network for a company. Currently, my wheels have been spinning trying to iron out this detail. Any help would be appreciated so I can move on with the project. I'm currently in my first networking class so I'm very new to this information.

I will be posting links to what sources I've read to try and determine the answer for myself. There is a rule against re-direction, but I must show the effort I've been attempting to locate the solution.

The questions I need to be answered: For a large multi-user business on a WLAN, would the topology in this network use an infrastructure topology, star, and/or ESS(extended service set)? Which are physical/logical?

Note: This is a question I wrote and not something directly from the project.

Infrastructure Topology

I'm currently using the uCertify course materials. I understand the difference between physical and logical topologies. According to uCertify wireless networks use the three wireless topologies: Ad Hoc, Infrastructure, or Mesh. (I would link to the text, but since it's paid material, that's probably a nono.)

From the point above, I'm reasonably confident the WLAN I'm crafting will use infrastructure topology.

Infrastructure topology appears to be physical since it extends a wired LAN to include wireless devices.

link: http://www.idc-online.com/technical_references/pdfs/data_communications/Wireless_Network_Topologies.pdf

Star Topology

Star topology appears to be the logical topology I would be using. However, the uCertify material seems not to mention star being used with wireless.

Tom's Hardware agrees: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/local-area-network-gigabit-ethernet,3035-7.html#:~:text=Wireless%20networks%20have%20different%20topologies,use%20only%20two%20logical%20topologies%3A&text=Point%2Dto%2Dpoint%E2%80%94Bluetooth,point%2Dto%2Dpoint%20topology.

Here is another source with diagrams showing star topology being used as the logical topology component fire wireless networks specifically:

https://www.emerson.com/documents/automation/training-wireless-topologies-en-41144.pdf

Extended Service Set(ESS)

According to uCertify ESS operates within an infrastructure topology. The link below, which is another education program, labels ESS as a topology in itself:

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-200-301/wireless-lan-802-11-service-sets

ESS is the connection between more than one Basic Service Set (BSS); any google search should confirm this since it's a definition. Due to this definition, this topology sounds physical as well.

Conclusion

My answer to this question would be the WLAN would use all three: a physical infrastructure topology with a physical ESS topology within along with a logical star topology.

Edit: fixed the duplicated links to reflect the appropriate ones



No comments:

Post a Comment