Saturday, November 6, 2021

Verizon ONT with multiple public static IP's

Got a really weird issue, and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Last Friday one of my offices got hit by a storm that knocked out my internet for a few hours. Before this storm, my network config was the Verizon ONT box plugged into a switch, and from there I had 2 firewalls plugged in to the switch each with their own static IP. This was a solid stable connection for 5+ years.

After the storm passed and our internet came back up, we started facing intermittent outages. I called ISP TS, and their immediate response was that my network config was wrong and I needed to have a Verizon router in bridge mode between my firewalls and the ONT. I set this up and had an immediate outage. The next engineer I got a hold of told me to get a managed switch, and set it in to a MTU VLAN mode so that one of the ports was uplink, and have that connected to the ONT. I did this and also had an immediate outage. The last TS I spoke to finally said they would have a tech come out to replace the ONT unit altogether.

The one thing that does work is if I have my firewall directly plugged into the ONT, I have no issues and a stable connection. The problem is that I have 2 firewalls that both require their own public static IP. I don't particularly feel confident that replacing the ONT will fix my problems, but I also don't know what next steps to take.



No comments:

Post a Comment