Monday, November 22, 2021

TIFU installing 1Gbps uplink switches

I recently designed the network infrastructure for a new build and installed all Cisco 9300 switches with 1Gbps uplinks. There are 4 IDFs each with their own 5 switch stack so the intention was to MLAG the uplinks to the core to allow scalability as internal traffic rarely ever got over 1Gbps.

This was also working fine and everyone was happy until just today I get told they’ve kitted out the whole building with Crestron AV kit. Specifically, NVX encoders and decoders for sending AV around the building to and from numerous rooms. I wasn’t made aware of that at the design stage but now I’m absolutely ruined because EACH encoder uses 1Gbps and multicasts. I’ve now got about 15Gbps constantly flying around the entire network to reach the decoders.

Lucky for me I got the modular uplink model switches so I just need to swap out the modules for 10Gbps but it was a very bad time when those encoders were switched on.



No comments:

Post a Comment