Saturday, November 13, 2021

Selective filming without consent

For a bit of context, I work for a small IT company as a techy, I've been here almost a year and for the most part things are pretty good. There's one thing I'm definitely not comfortable with though.

Every Friday afternoon we have our weekly meeting just 4 or 5 of us who can make it, and our OS colleagues. The thing that initially triggered this, I think, was a webcam set up overlooking the lunch room, which appeared to be harmless, just sitting underneath the TV. I gave it a little tap to dislodge it off centre, and sure enough a few days later it disappeared.

Since that time, the boss has set up a brand new HD webcam on top of the monitor in our weekly meetings, in such a way that the office manager and head tech are not in the picture, just myself and the other one or 2 techs if they are not on-site - nor do the OS guys switch theirs on either. The boss knows I'm not a camera person, I don't have social media, and the fact that I am likely uncomfortable that I don't have a say because I have to attend the meeting. Everyone sits in their designated seats every week so changing seats is not an option.

To say the least, this is hugely unprofessional and does not sit well with me at all. Saying something will obviously satisfy his hunger to know that I'm uncomfortable being filmed without my consent. Sure in his defence he can say, how is this any different to the CCTV cameras in the office? Everyone is filmed coming in and out of the office, that's the difference. Certain people in the meeting are not in the frame, that's the difference.

This has led to me being withdrawn from the meetings with absolute minimal input, and just makes me look bad if in fact they are recording, which I'm almost 99% sure if he's not recording on the boardroom PC, then on his work laptop.

It's a lose lose situation for me if I speak about it. I would have no problem if it was mandatory for everyone in the meeting to be in frame with their cameras on, including the OS guys. This, along with a tech that is a complete smart ass, some irate customers that continually belittle them, and I'm left to take the brunt as the bad guy who sticks up for us in the business, is almost enough for me to throw in the towel.

What are your opinions on this, and would you be just as uncomfortable as me in this situation. Any help is much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment