Saturday, November 20, 2021

Salary negotiations for mid-to-senior positions. Is it reasonable to request a hiring bonus to buy out my soon-to-be-besting RSUs?

tl;dr - Expecting an offer for a new position, but accepting it will mean walking away from ~$40k in bonus and vesting RSUs at current job. Is it reasonable to request a hiring bonus to cover that?

I'm pretty happy at my current job, and getting $154k + $20k/yr in RSUs. But a recruiter tracked me down on Linkedin about a similar position at a new company, I did some interviews and have apparently "far exceeded their expectations" and am expecting an offer shortly.

My recruiter indicated that they were looking for someone in the $175k range. I've told him that I'll be looking for $200k as a base salary, irrespective of equity offers (company is probably 2-3 years from an IPO from what I can tell). We'll see what they offer.

My other hesitation is that I'd be walking away from about $40,000 in bonus/vesting RSUs at my current job that would have come out in February. Is it reasonable to ask for this as a signing bonus? What does a reasonable signing bonus look like?

For reference, this is a in the SF Bay Area where salaries are quite inflated, and although I match the skill set damn near perfectly (and know that I could do this job EXTREMELY well), I am not sure what a reasonable salary range is for a CCNP Net Eng with a very recent extensive experience in Palo Alto/Panorama/Prisma/Clearpass.

That being said, I'm very comfortable and reasonably happy at my current job so if it doesn't work out, I'm only out a few hours worth of interview time.



No comments:

Post a Comment