Monday, November 29, 2021

Retro-networking Question: PRI over ethernet

(This a hypothetical/play/homelab/fun question and not for any production use, as I know PRI/T1 are fairly obsolete-ish, but it does involve enterprise networking, and may be of use to someone in real use cases.)

Just curious if there is a piece of gear I can get that can adapt a PRI to IP without using SIP? An example use case would be two Legacy PBXs on the same property but in different physical locations. I know I can use a crossover cable, but let's say I needed to use wireless, like WIFI to connect the two. (Again, this is just for fun, not for real-life/daily use).

I understand there's carrier-grade gear to do this currently as its how most PRIs are delivered anymore, but I'm not sure if there's something I would be able to use without some kind of concentrator/etc that would normally be on the CLEC side of things.

Also curious if a standard old Cisco router would accomplish this as well (T1 I can see it working, but what about PRI?). I'm not a Cisco person but I know Cisco treats a T or PRI as serial channels. I think it was common back in the day to set up a Cisco lab to connect 2 T1 access routers together using a T1 crossover cable, but what about doing the opposite and connecting them via ethernet instead?

I also don't want to use a sip channel bank or any sip converters - I'd like the PRI to be a "real" PRI with TDM data and timing, and not SIP.

PBX --> PRI --> Ethernet (WIFI) --> PRI --> PBX

I suppose I could use 2 Asterisk instances with PRI cards, but not sure that would keep the PRI pure, as it would have to use some interim channel protocol like SIP or ZAP, like this:

PBX #1 <-- PRI --> PRI Card (Asterisk) <----> SIP/ZAP <----> Asterisk (PRI Card) <-- PRI--> PBX #2



No comments:

Post a Comment