Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Question about trunking vs vlan participation

I am in the middle of an epic saga in trying to get the enterprise network that I have inherited back in working order. Members of this community have already been immensely helpful to me in this project. Here's hoping you all can come to my rescue yet again.

I have a ubiquiti edge switch, a layer 2 switch with multiple vlans that *should be* trunked back to a layer 3 core switch. The interface in question that connects to the layer 3 switch is not trunked. The configuration on the interface instead shows:

vlan participation include 10,20,22

vlan tagging 10 (phones)

Will this accomplish the same thing as trunking? I would guess not. Could it be why I cannot ping the SVI gateway for vlan 22 on the layer 3 switch? What is the difference between vlan participation and trunking? How should the port be configured to allow me to use vlans 1,10, 20, 22 on this switch?

Thanks for your help!



No comments:

Post a Comment