Saturday, November 13, 2021

Labeling Multiple Fiber runs between buildings

I'm at a location where there is existing fiber between the main office building and various other locations throughout the property, mainly smaller offices/IDFs/etc.

At the MDF/server room I've been identifying and labeling fiber patch cables that exist in the patch rack and go to a specific SFP port in the switch/switches, for example, 1000 is labeled on both sides of the fiber cable. On my document I'll write that fiber patch cable 1000 plugs into switch 1, port 1 and connects to fiber patch 1. This is very helpful when tracing cables within the MDF server room.

Continuing to use this example, fiber patch 1 (cable 1000) is using strands orange/blue to go to the next building. In the next building, it terminates to orange/blue (obviously) in the fiber patch panel. From here, it continues to another patch panel box (it is very possible that orange/blue are not used on this next patch panel, but I do link the correct strands together with a patch cable.

This is where my question starts...should that patch cable be labeled 1000 since it is a continuation of the patch cable in the MDF or do I label it something else as to not confuse me or someone else if they are troubleshooting this run in the future?

I do have a diagram with the fiber runs that I am keeping up to date, but I'd like to know if I should be using 1000 for the entire run (from office, to all the thru locations, to final destination) or should I use a unique number for each leg of the run?

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment