Saturday, November 20, 2021

Data rates on different channel widths?

Hi, I would exactly call myself a wireless "expert", I definitely know my way around most of the tech but the "ins and outs" are something I will definitely be picking up and studying the next year or so when I get a chance. But for this question, what sort of data rates can you expect to get generally in terms of difference when on a 5GHz network on a 20MHz vs 40 and 80 width channels? WiFi 5, I'm going to call it because technically that's what we should be calling it now, has a theoretical speed of 1.3Gbps, yes I know that it's only theoretical, but given the question, what sort of speeds could I expect if I had 3 different wireless networks, all on 5GHz, but at the different channel widths?

Let's take interference and larger channel widths suffering from interference from more channels out of the equation as well here and pretend all 3 different networks operate fine.

Also, as a side not question here...am I right in saying a 5GHz network on a 20, 40 or 80MHz channel width allows "5HGz speeds through that "gap" or width essentially? Which in turn means that the larger the channel width, the "more speed" there is to go through it?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment