Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Configuring VPN

Hello guys, I am a broadcast engineer looking for some help on how to use a VPN to tie two locations together. I understand an ok amount of networking but far from a network engineer. Typically all of our equipment is networked with static Ips on layer 2 switches. Most of this equipment has GUI interfaces to configure and talks to each other over the LAN network.

What I would like to do is tie two locations together so their LANS are as one or so equipment can talk. This way my server on network A can talk to equipment on network B over the lan.

Next thing I would like to do is be able to join this VPN to be able to pull up GUIs and configure equipment from anywhere.

Lastly I am trying to pass general internet traffic without having to go through the VPNs server. I have seen this done but I am not sure how. The reason for this is sometime I have encoders on the network that I do not want having to bounce through the VPN server to get to where it needs to go adding latency.

What I have setup but am stuck at is I launched a AWS instance running a wireguard server. I have two GL-iNets as wireguard clients and equipment on the GL-iNest's two different LANs. I can ping the address to the AWS LAN ip for the two devices but cannot talk to anything on each others networks. I am probably going about this all wrong and open to suggestions but please let me know if I'm on the right track and what I need to do to finish this loop.

I tried making one of the GL-iNets the wireguard server and the other the client but since I am usually sitting behind a firewall on a LAN network it was not letting the two talk without opening a port that I will not have access to.

I am not looking to use something like Cisco Meraki because I am doing this for my own dime and doing it for my own education.

Let me know and thanks ahead of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment