Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Cisco USB Console Woes

I'm currently on the road trying to configure a simple Cisco 2960X switch. Two weeks ago my maintenance laptop could connect just fine using a USB A-to-mini cable. Now I get no serial ports in device manager, but the Cisco USB to Serial device still shows up. I think the difference is my laptop updated to Windows 10 21H1. I've tried manually installing the port as a legacy device, but Windows fails to load the drivers with error code 31 (which is about as helpful as woop dee fricken doo).

My Google-fu must be weak because I can't find anything other than old results saying "Install the Cisco driver." Yeah, I did that already. Like 5 years ago. And this morning. It was working but now it's making like a video card in Windows 95.

I even did a full uninstall of the device, the driver files, and the program. Windows just doesn't like it anymore. I think it's a driver signing issue, so I tried the built-in Microsoft USB-Serial driver - which is definitely signed. Still no go. Anybody else been having troubles with their USB cables lately or is it just me and my crappy laptop?



No comments:

Post a Comment