Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Career/Cert Advice

Hey guys, I got my CCNA in 2020 right before the exam change (I took icnd1/2) and have essentially been forced into sysadmin roles since. I recently started a new position (on my 3rd week) and the network admin is retiring next week.

His position requires CISSP, CASP+, or CCNP-Sec in addition to a CCNA. I was told to choose a cert, they would send me to a boot camp and I could fill his role if I wanted.

That said the scope of the environment goes beyond CCNA and I was planning to go for CCNP-Encor next because I wanted to learn the material. Should I just try to snag the CASP+ to meet the requirements and then study for ENCOR? We do use Cisco so the CCNP-Sec would actually be useful information to learn but don't think it's something I can just pick up with a boot camp.

I'm also very nervous about the scope of work in general with my experience (mainly small l2 networks, some l3 switches and roas setups) but also see this as an amazing opportunity to get where I want to go. Just not much time for training and a lot on my plate, also it's a solo role so I'd mainly be assuming someone else's network and learning on the fly.

Any advice would be great, thanks if you took the time to read this.



No comments:

Post a Comment