Friday, November 12, 2021

Can you use DDNS w/ a Static IPs?

Can you use DDNS w/ a Static IPs? We currently have a management network where we connect our iLO/iDRAC, it uses static IPs. The issue is we have people who build the servers and get everything setup, but then sometimes forgets to get a DNS entry for the management interface. No one notices the issue, till there is a problem with the server...

I searched Google and I see a lot of Use Cases for DDNS w/ a Dynamic IP, though saw nothing for static. I am curious if it can be leveraged with a Static IP to remove a step from the process as well as make sure we don't run into an outage w/o knowing how to access the server's console.

I am not a Networking SME, though the networking engineers I am working with on this don't speak the same langauge and Google Translate doesn't always work that well on these type of topics. I see them talking about DHCP and we currently use Static IPs, hence why I am wondering if there is a limitation.



No comments:

Post a Comment